Child Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Does My Child Have Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Does My Child Oppositional Defiant Disorder

A lot of children misbehave and it doesn’t mean this is something to necessarily worry about. However, if your child’s behaviour is persistent despite your best efforts to correct it, it might be worth looking into child oppositional defiant disorder.

What Is Oppositional Defiant Disorder?

Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) is a behavioural disorder that’s characterised by hostile and troubling behaviour towards parents, peers and authority figures. A child with ODD comes across as frequently difficult and angry. While the exact causes are unknown, it’s theorised that ODD might be influenced by negative reinforcement methods which aim to increase desired behaviour by removing a negative stimulus. For example, a child might be motivated to get good grades to avoid being shouted at when they fail an exam. 

What Are The Symptoms of The Oppositional Defiant Disorder?

A child with ODD might:

– have short temper
– display frequent anger and annoyance
– frequently argue with parents, teachers etc
– deliberately do things to upset others and refuse to follow rules
– blame others for their challenging behaviour
– appear vindictive

What To Do If I Suspect My Child Has ODD?

If your child doesn’t respond to being disciplined and displays a few of the symptoms above, it might be time to seek professional help. ODD symptoms might not only disrupt relationships with other people but lead to decreased school performance and future problems such as substance abuse and antisocial behaviour, so it’s important to seek help as soon as possible. ODD can be treated with various talking therapies such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Make sure you make a list of symptoms that concern you before an appointment. A mental health specialist will advise you on further steps. It might be also helpful to reach out to parents who are going through a similar thing to compare experiences.

Contact My Family Psychologist to discuss your options today

If you are feeling pressured or need someone to speak to, contact My Family Psychologist for a confidential chat about how we may be able to help.

You can contact the My Family Psychologist Offices between 8 am and 8 pm to book an appointment.

Get in touch to see how we can help.

Scroll to Top