Mental Health Professionals

Psychological .

Mental Health Professionals

Choosing the right Mental Health Professionals may feel challenging and daunting with such a huge choice of specialists to choose from, however, at My Family Psychologist, we make it easy for you. When you get in touch with us and let us know what is happening we will connect you with the most suitable psychologist possible who will support and provide what you need.

Below is the range of psychologists and psychology specialisms that we have access to, as you can see, there is no issue that we cannot help with.

Access A Wide Range Of Mental Health Professionals In Gosforth


A psychologist does clinical assessments which can help determine which psychological therapy would be best suited to you. Psychologists also give consultations, advice and supervision to other professionals involved in your treatment or care.

Most Psychologists are usually trained to doctorate level and have robust training adhering to continuing professional development

Assistant Psychologists

Assistant psychologists assist psychologists to enhance the psychological health of service users. The work involves applying methods and conducting tests to assess a patient’s needs, devising treatment programmes and delivery therapy, monitoring a patient’s progress and carrying out research, keeping statistical records, using psychometric tests.

Counsellors and Therapists

Counsellor’s provide a ‘talking therapy’ where they invite you to talk about your thoughts and feelings. The counsellor discusses coping strategies and working towards agreed goals. This could be because of relationship difficulties, grief or to help them deal with everyday life. A therapist is someone who provides psychological treatments. There are many types of therapists, with different levels of training, skills and experience.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapists/ Practitioners

Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) practitioners use talking therapy to help patients change negative patterns of thinking or behaviour. These therapies can be low or high intensity. High intensity therapists equip people with the tools and techniques they need to overcome complex problems related to anxiety and depression.  


Psychotherapists help people to overcome stress, emotional and relationship problems or troublesome habits. Psychotherapy is often called a ‘talking therapy’ and helps clients explore and express their thought processes, feelings and behaviour. Sessions with clients can cover a range of issues, including: emotional issues, such as anger or grief, mental ill health, for example anxiety and depression, behavioural issues, eating disorders and addiction.

CAHMS / Child Psychotherapists

Child psychotherapists work in child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS). CAMHS teams are based in the community and work with staff from many other children’s services, including education and social services. They provide a number of interventions including mental health promotion and prevention, through to very specialist care for young people with mental health problems.

Occupational Therapists

Occupational therapists are trained to help with getting you back to daily activities such as work, study, cooking and cleaning, transport and socialising. Some have extra training or experience in mental health. They can design activities to help with independence, come up with coping strategies and help with improving social skills.

Play Specialists

Play Specialists use therapeutic play techniques to help children from birth to their transition into adulthood, to understand their medical and/or psychological condition, treatment and its impact on their daily life.

Family Therapists

A family therapist might help you to work through difficulties with members of your family. A relationship therapist may help with improving your interpersonal skills. They meet with entire families and individually with family members to assist families in functioning more effectively.

Relationship Counsellor / Therapists

A relationship counsellor is someone who offers advice and guidance to couples, married or otherwise, or encourages the client to find answers to the problems themselves. The counsellor can operate as an intermediary in an attempt to reconcile differences between two people, or to improve generally the prospects in the relationship.

Psychological Well Being Practitioners

Psychological wellbeing practitioners are trained to assess and support people with common mental health problems using a range of psychological interventions, especially anxiety disorders and depression which present in primary care. PWPs assist individuals in the self-management of their recovery.  PWPs work closely with other healthcare professionals including high intensity therapists, IAPT counsellors and employment advisers. Treatment can be delivered on a one-to-one basis either face to face, via telephone, online or in a group setting.

Forensic Psychologists

Forensic psychologists work with all aspects of the criminal justice system from the psychological aspects of investigation and legal process through to offending behaviour and application of psychological methods to reduce the impact of this and future re-offending. Forensic Psychologists pilot and implement new treatment programmes, providing hard research evidence to support practice, undertaking statistical analysis for prisoner profiling, giving expert evidence in court, advising parole boards and mental health tribunals and conducting crime analysis.

Here To Help, Contact My Family Psychologist

If you are feeling pressured or need someone to speak to, contact My Family Psychologist for a confidential chat about how we may be able to help.

You can visit the My Family Psychologist Offices between 8 am and 8 pm to book an appointment.

Get in touch to see how we can help.

Scroll to Top